Distance Learning or Open Learning system refers to the education where either of the student and teacher does not have to be present at the same place or same time for the commencement of the courses. Distance Education is a very flexible system when it comes to methodology and timing of the learning. The best fact is that the admission process in universities providing distance education is quite liberal and doesn’t comprise of any mandatory quality points.
Of late, Distance Education has gathered steam in India also with many top universities providing open or distance courses. The ODL (Open or Distance Learning) system in India consists of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), the only National Open University in India along with many State Open Universities (SOUs) and other universities and institutions offering open courses including the Correspondence Course Institutes (CCIs). In India, at present, the University Grants Commission holds the powers regarding the accreditation and guiding of Open Universities.
So if you are also planning on enrolling on any Open University for learning any course or completing your graduation/post-graduation/honors; you must have some ideas at first as to which university will be perfect for you! Which university offers the course you are seeking, which university provides better benefits and whether the university holds some prestige or reputation or not? To help you in selecting the perfect open universities with best faculty and course structure, we have compiled a list of Top 10 Distance Education Learning Universities in India.
Checkout the list of top 10 Best & Most Famous Distance Education Universities In India in 2017-2018
10. Netaji Subhas Open University
Netaji Subhas Open University (NSOU) is the leading State Open University in India situated in Salt Lake, Kolkata. The university comprises of around 31 study centers and provides distance education in eight different disciplines comprising of Graduate, Post-graduate, PhD and vocational courses. NSOU is one of the fastest growing universities in Eastern India.
• Self-Instructional Materials (Distributed in Study Centers)
• Audio and Video Cassettes
• Personal Contact Programme (Generally held on Saturdays and Sundays)
• Gyan Vani FM Channel (Radio channel on 105.4 MHz)
• Interactive Radio Counselling
9. Maulana Azad National Urdu University
Maulana Azad National Urdu University is situated in Hyderabad and was named after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, a freedom fighter and the first Education Minister of India. The university holds a grading of “A” by NAAC. The university offers Open learning through its Directorate of Distance Education (DDE).
• Has nine regional centers set up in Delhi, Patna, Bangalore, Bhopal, Darbhanga, Srinagar, Kolkata Mumbai and Ranchi
• Signed an MoU with Doordarshan for lessons through Audio-Video media
• 17 programmes offered through Distance Learning (3 PGs, 4 UGs, 2 PG Diplomas and 4 certificate programs)
8. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University contains an extensive grid of 206 study centers which are spread throughout Andhra Pradesh. BRAOU has great flexibility regarding admission, program options, duration of course and age limitations and many other factors. The University specially caters to women and working class people interested in improving their academic qualification level.
• Has more than 250 study centers
• Offer courses in 38 programs across various disciplines
• Open to everyone irrespective of caste, creed, religion gender or class.
7. University of Mumbai
University of Mumbai or MU is the oldest university in Maharashtra and one of the first state universities of India. MU is one of the most reputed universities of India with many notable and famous alumni graduating from there. Situated in 1857 by the Britishers in Bombay, the university has maintained its heritage and quality of education since then.
• Has one of the main computer servers of Mumbai
• Features in the list of Top 500 universities in the world
• Is planning its first offshore campus in USA
• Has an official campus FM radio channel named MAST
6. Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University
MP Bhoj (Open) university aims to make teaching and learning easily accessible to all using innovative methods like distance teaching, teaching through satellite comms etc. The University provides special impetus to provide education to students and learners from rural background or with some disability. Bhoj University also collaborates with reputed institutes including the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), Indian Institute of Material Management etc.
• Targets students from rural areas specially
• Collaborates with many reputed institutes from all over India
• Has an Internet audio learning system named BHOJDARSHAN
• Has an Internet based video learning system named BHOJVAANI
5. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning
Symbiosis Society is a family of educational and cultural system founded in 1971 due to the benefaction of its president and founding director S. B. Mujumdar. The society comprises of about 37 educational and learning institutes spanned across 19 campuses in India. It provides distance learning course to learners through Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL).
• Has launched a methodology of “Blended Learning” for all the courses offered at SCDL
• Provides Collaborative and cooperative e-Learning materials as an additional learning to improve the concept understanding
• Has the facility of Virtual Classrooms with the faculties removing the barrier of distance between the teacher and the learner.
• Online Chat Sessions with faculties allow students and learners to interact directly with the faculties of the University
4. IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute
IMT Distance and Open learning institute has emerged as the leader in training and cultivating future managers armed with unique visions, skills and a blend of technology. The center helps its students acquire necessary skills to be an all-rounder in management and entrepreneurship.
• Provides almost all kind of management courses ranging from financial, economical to HR and marketing management
• Ranked as one of the best business institution in India and Asia
• Have campuses in Ghaziabad (main campus), Nagpur, Hyderabad and Dubai.
• 24 X 7 open library for the students
• A compulsory simulation process for all of its students
3. Sikkim Manipal University
Sikkim Manipal University has been at the forefront of this distance education revolution in India and is recognised by UGC and approved by the Indian Government. SMU presents a quality education to the learners from the North-Eastern states of India along with students from all over India.
• Ranked constantly amongst the top and leading institutes of India
• Provides one of the best Distance education programs in India
• Focuses on the advancement of academics in India providing support and finance to innovations from its students and faculties
2. Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University
The Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU) was founded in 1989 and is named after Yashwantrao Chavan, the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra. YCMOU is the fifth Open University in India and the university is a noted member of various reputed Institutional bodies and associations namely Association of Indian Universities, Association of Commonwealth Universities, Asian Association of Open Universities, and Commonwealth of Learning, Canada.
• Mobile and Tab ready lectures
• Discussion forums
• Live virtual classes
• Fully Randomized On Demand Online Test with Instant Result Declaration
• Auto generation of certificates online after completion of the course successfully
1. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
The only National Open University in India, IGNOU features in every single list on the best Open Universities of India because of its innovative approach to learning, brilliant faculty, learner friendly teaching approach and easy accessibility. IGNOU is the largest university in the world comprising over 4 million students taking advantage and benefitting from its outstanding teaching, researching, training and operating methodology.
• Feature of tele-counseling to groups of students
• Training Study Centre Counselors and Coordinators
• Interactive administration with representatives from Regional Centers
• Extended Contact Programme (ECP) with students
• Facility of teaching-end studios at New Delhi campus and around 850 receiver “Nodes” located in IGNOU Regional Centers and Study Centers
This completes our list of top 10 Distance Education Universities in India for the students. All the universities mentioned in the list are well-reputed and feature regularly in Best Institutes of India; with some of them featuring in the lists of Best Universities across the world. Distance learning is a flexible way to complete your higher education or acquire some new skills without having to regularly be present at the campus all the time. It provides you the option of learning along with working or doing a job. It is a great method to improve your qualification level to get promoted to higher positions in your field. So, choose any one of the above Universities and give your career a big boost through distance learning.