Top Ten Least Populated States in India

India is ranked at no. 2 in terms of most populated countries in the world. Currently, the population of India is 1.32 billion which is very near to China who is ranked no. 1 with population 1.38 billion. This is one of the biggest problems that the country is facing that the population is going up, but the amounts of resources are going down day by day. But even after this huge population, there are a few states in India that are not really populated. Here are the top 10 least populated states in India.

10. Uttarakhand

The state is called lands of Gods due to various historical pilgrimage places in the state. It is very famous due to various places that it has and thus has become one of the best tourist attractions of the country. The state only contains 11 districts with a population of 10, 116,752. The rural population of this total population is 69% and the urban population is around 31%. The state was carved out from UP in the year 2000, and in these 17 years, it has made its own identity.

9. Himachal Pradesh

The state is covered with various mountains and is known as the Himalayan state. This state also contains various historical Hindu and Sikh temples which have made it popular as various tourists enter this state every day. The state also has lots of beautiful destinations which attract lots of people daily. The state is spread over an area of 55,673 square kilometers and the population of the state is 6,864,602. Among these people, 89% live in rural areas, whereas around 11% people live in urban areas.

8. Tripura

It is a hilly state which is located in the northeast of India. It has been bordered from three sides by Bangladesh and it is famous for its tribal culture as well as ancient places. The state is spread over an area of 10,486 square kilometers and the total population of the state is just 3,671,032. 73% of the people live in rural areas in the state and remaining 27% people live in urban areas. The state initially contained only 4 districts, but after the arrival of 4 more districts in the year 2011, the state now contains a total of 8 districts.

7. Meghalaya

It is a state which is always full of rain and it is considered as one of the places in India, where it rains the most. It was initially a part of Assam, but later it was separated and was made a different state. It is spread over an area of 22,429 square kilometers with a population of 2,964,007. Like other states, 80% of the people here, live in rural areas and remaining 20% people live in urban areas. The population of the state contains lots of tribal people in it.

6. Manipur

Manipur is a famous north-eastern state in India and the state is famous for the production of jewels. Currently, the population of the state is just 2,721,756. And the state is spread over an area of 22,327 square kilometers. 80% of the people here are from rural areas and 20% are from urban areas and from this 80 %, 30% people are the people from various tribes. So, overall it has secured the no. 6th position in top 10 lists of least populated states in India.

5. Nagaland

Nagaland is another north-eastern state which is famous for its beautiful views provided by mountains all around the state. Nagaland is also famous for celebrating various kinds of festivals. Currently, the population of the state is around 1,980,602 and the state is spread over an area of 16,579 square kilometers. The state contains a total of 11 districts and 16 different tribes in it. In Nagaland itself, you will find people speaking different languages. It is a state where 36 languages are spoken. 71% of the population lives in rural areas and 29% of the people live in urban areas.

4. Goa

Goa is really famous for its nightlife, beaches, and for eventual weddings and it manages to attract lots of people with its offerings. The total population of the state is 1,457,723 and the state is spread over an area of 3702 square kilometers. Around 68% people live in urbanized areas; however 32% people live in rural areas. It is also known as one of the richest states of India. Even with lots of tourist attractions and lots of people settling down here daily, the state ranks at no. 4 in terms of least populated states of India.

3. Arunachal Pradesh

It is another state which is located in the north-eastern part of the country. The state is famous for its spiritual temples, ancient buildings, and various other things. Currently, the population of the state is 1,382,611 and the state is spread over an area of 83,743 square kilometers. The population density of the state is pretty low i.e. 17/sqm. 77% people over here live in rural areas, whereas the remaining 23% people live in urban areas. It is another state which is full of different languages spoken in it as the state has over 30 languages spoken in it.

2. Mizoram

Mizoram Top Popular Least Populated States in India 2018

Mizoram is another state featuring in this list that belongs to a north-eastern part of the country. The state is full of tourist attractions and hence has become one of the best tourist places of the country. The total population of the state is 1,091,014 and the state is spread over an area of 21,081 square kilometers. More than 90% of the state is covered with dense forests. 95% of the population of the state is the tribal people. 51% of the people live in urban areas, whereas 49% of the people live in rural areas. The state contains a total of 8 districts.

1. Sikkim

Sikkim Top 10 Least Populated States in India 2017

The least populated state in the country is Sikkim, which is famous for its historical temples and beautiful views. The state sees a lot of tourists every year as the state has a lot to offer to its tourists. The population of the state is just 607,688 and the state is spread over an area of 7096 square kilometers. 75% of the people live in rural areas over here, and remaining 25% people live in urban areas.

This was the list of top 10 least populated states in India, the numbers that are shown above are according to the census carried out in 2011, in 2021, the numbers might be doubled.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here